- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 1 cup water
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- Stir the vital wheat gluten and chickpea flour together in a medium bowl. Add the water and stir to form a soft dough.
- Transfer the dough to a work surface and knead it for 5 minutes. When it’s no longer sticking, and is like a good bread dough, you can roll it into a ball, or some other form (brisket or ribs). Allow the dough to rest for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the stock to cook the dough. Add 6 cups vegetable stock- broth or 6 cups water with spices. Place the pot over high heat and bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to a low simmer.
- Add the dough to the broth. Allow the broth to simmer for 1 hour, uncovered, watching closely to ensure it stays at a low simmer.
- Remove the pot from heat and allow it to cool a bit.
- When the seitan is cool enough to handle, you can cut it into smaller pieces if you like. Use it in a recipe immediately, or store it in the broth. Refrigerate for up to five days, or freeze.